Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Small Change Today

Bob Proctor wrote a chapter called "Razor's Edge" in which he describes how the difference between mediocrity and success is simply persistence. Successful people are able to focus on the one action that would set them apart from all the others. For everyone, that action is different. For an Olympic Gold athlete, the difference might mean simply continuing to train when other gifted athletes move on to other careers. For the stay-at-home mom/ aspiring writer, it might mean simply waking up 15 minutes earlier and writing a page a day--to produce a book in a year.

This idea inspired me. What is the one action that I can focus on that will reap exponential results? For my dissertation writing, it is reading daily works by other scholars. At this stage of the writing process, it seems counter-intuitive. I have been impatient to read too much because it takes away from my writing time.  But actually, the reading will immerse my mind in the academic language of my field. I'll be more fluent. Ideas will come to me more readily. And I'll be able to communicate my argument with greater ease.

I thought about asking this question about other facets of my life: What is the one thing I could do in my marriage to create a more harmonious union with my spouse, with hearts and minds knitted together? What is the one action I could focus on with my children to convey to them the depth of the Father's love? What is the one habit our family could focus on to create home, a heaven on earth? What is the one small change in my health habits that would reap radical results for my physical health?

Sometimes, we come up with a laundry list of things to change, which can be self-defeating. But if we only focus on an incremental change: maybe it's only walking 15 minutes a day, not drinking diet soda, speaking softly in the home, playing 15 minutes one-on-one with our child, or turning off the television at night... a small action can yield great rewards.

I read this excerpt from Bob Proctor's book from signing up for "19 Rules of Prosperity" from http://www.thoughtsalive.com . It was certainly inspiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment